Location, Location, Location: Where Can I Buy Board Games?
You’re getting ready to have an epic game night. And, you need to get some board games to play. Whether you’ve decided on the board games for your game night or you still need to find the right ones, knowing where to buy board games is the first step in beefing up your board game collection. But, you’re wondering, “Where can I buy board games?”. We’ll take a look at the different places where you can buy board games both online and in person. So, no matter where you go, you’ll be able to stock up on board games easily for your next game night.
Go Online: Buying Board Games on Websites
If you need a specific board game or don’t want to fuss with going to a store in person, using an online website to buy a board game is a great option. Purchasing games online is easy and sometimes even cheaper than going to a retail store in person. And, with so many online websites offering affordable and fast shipping, you might also be able to get your game pretty quickly too. Plus, if you’re looking for the most variety and selection of games, online is definitely the way to go. If you’re a gamer with specific games in mind or games that are rare, hard to find, or produced by smaller companies, online might actually be the only way you can buy those board games too.
Online Board Games Websites
So, now that we know that websites are a good place to buy board games, which online sites should you use? Here are a few of our recommendations for good online game sites to visit.
- Amazon: You really can find almost anything on a site like Amazon, and that includes board games. They sell games that are hard to find, rare, and those that are well known too. Their prices are often cheaper than retail store. And, if you’re an Amazon Prime member, you’ll be able to score free two day shipping on Prime eligible board games.
- Board Game Company Site: If you have a specific game in mind, check out the company’s website. Some games can only be sold on the company’s site. Or, you might be able to score a deal or purchase additional versions and even swag too. One of our favorite games is Settler’s of Catan. You can actually buy different versions of the game on the company’s site and even apparel too.
- Specialty Board Game Sites: There are actually websites devoted to exclusively selling board games. These sites will give you a lot of options and may even include sales or other deals too. Plus, it’s a great way to search for games across different genres and styles — making it the perfect one stop shop for buying board games.
- eBay: If you’re looking for a rare, old, or out of print board games, eBay (and other sites like it) is a good place to look. While you’ll be able to find new and common board games, eBay really works best for those hard to find games that you need to add to your collection. We love it for classic collectibles or versions of board games that we played as kids that are no longer made.
Let’s Go to the Store: Buying Board Games in Person
If buying games online isn’t your speed or you just want to go in person to browse or get a board game quickly, in person retail stores are a great way to find the right board game. But, like buying games online, not all retail locations are the same. Some locations may not have the variety of games you’re looking for. Others may include options that are pricey and too specific. The location you visit will depend on the type of game you want to buy.
In Person Retail Locations
Here are some of your best bets for buying board games in person.
- Big Box Stores: Stores like Walmart, Target, and other big box stores are a great place to find common and popular board games. Though you won’t find a huge selection of games, you know that you’ll always be able to find those classic games. Plus, you’ll usually be able to score a good deal or find low prices at these locations too.
- Speciality Stores: If you’re looking for specialized, hard to find, rare, or more niche games, a specialty store is the way to go. Your local comic book shop or other gaming store will have some options — usually specializing in sci-fi and fantasy board games. If you’re looking for something more classic or mainstream, you’ll be better off going to a big box store or purchasing online. But, for those classic sci-fi and fantasy board games, a specialty store is a treasure trove of options.
- Thrift Shops: If you’re looking for board games but are less concerned with having a new version, why not visit a thrift shop? You can’t get anymore affordable than a thrift shop where you can buy a game for just a few dollars or even less. The only downside to thrift shop purchases are that you may not find what you’re looking for if you have a specific game in mind. And, you’ll want to make sure all the game pieces are with the game you purchase. Because thrift shops carry used games, there’s no guarantee all of the original pieces will still be with the game. Still, if you’re looking for board games to build up your collection or just need something cheap, a thrift shop is a great place to go.
Get to Gaming: Buying Board Games Made Easy
When it comes to buying board games, there are plenty of options to make it easy to buy games for you next game night. Both in person retail locations and online stores have options for those looking for affordable and popular board games to those that are rare and hard to find. Of course, we always recommend taking a look at both in person and online stores to find the best deals and options — no matter what you’re looking for. So, you’ll never have to worry about, “Where can I buy board games?” for your next game night.
Want more information about planning your own game night? Check out our article on Planning A Game Night Party For Family & Friends for even more tips and strategies to score big on your next game night.